October 7, 2013

Random Thoughts: Day 7



I told you a couple of days ago that I am a little bit awkward. I've always felt like I didn't belong when people talked personality types because so much about me screams extrovert, but I really identify with the introvert crowd. Turns out, there's a reason for that! 

I took a personality test and I was typed an ENTP (Extrovert, iNtuative, Thinking, Perceiving). But my E? It was only an E by 1% over I! A dear friend told me that this is called an ambivert, and it's cause for all kinds of awkward. 

Apparently the whole ENTP thing means I'm direct, honest, and rational. I also am a non-conformist. Pretty much that's all true. 

I've been thinking about how this all jives with my Strengthfinders results. My top 5 Strengths have been identified as Belief, Strategic, Developer, Adaptability, and Activator. This test blew my mind with how accurately it describes me!

My beliefs are the basis for everything I do. I don't just mean that in a religious way either. While my faith in God does shape all of my decisions, I am also apt to govern my life according to beliefs about other things and people. 

I am also strategic and a developer. I like a well laid out plan. I like lists, and I love checking things off of those lists. I also like to be on the ground floor of things and in a position to create and build. Once it's up and running, my interest wanes. But developing? Oh, that's my love language (along with back rubs, baked goods, and a long list of others). 

I am quite adaptable. I can fake my way through any situation, and if a plan suddenly changes course, I can switch it up and figure out how to make it work from there on out. I always tell my doula clients that you can only make decisions based on the information that you have. But as soon as that information changes, you must reevaluate the situation and if the plan you've laid out is still the best course of action. I think that this is a great way to look at almost anything. But then again, I'm adaptable. 

Then there's the whole activator thing. The ironic part of this is that I can activate another person and cheer you on better that Suzy Smith at a high school football game! Somehow though, I have trouble activating myself. 

As I write all of this out, it makes sense that my spiritual gift is exhortation. If you come to me with anything I will tell you like it is, and how it should be. I'll lay out a step by step plan of what you should do and give you a swift kick in the rear. 

Unfortunately, my gift of exhortation leaves me lacking mercy. I need to work on that. My desire to help and encourage and love is sincere, but sometimes it comes off a little cold. And awkward. 

Now that you've seen my personality type and my psychoanalysis of it, you can profile me like an FBI agent. 

I find this stuff fascinating! Don't you? 

What's your personality type? Your strengths? Spiritual Gifts? 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I can see your verbal processing happening! :)

    And girl. I am the same! I am super good at telling it like it is, but usually that comes with out mercy. But a wise friend told me that exhortation holds hands with encouragement (which I TOTALLY see in you!) so we can balance it our by encouraging in truth and with scripture. That has helped me not be so merciless ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I am really really really loving your blog. Can't believe I didn't read before #31days! You're so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...