October 3, 2013

Random Thoughts: Day 3



I was at the park today with my babes and a sweet little girl, about three years old, came over to the sand box and offered my girls a slice of her apple. Her Nana was quickly behind specifying that it had to be ok with me first. My daughter declined before I could answer and we all went right back to what we had been doing.

After a few minutes, Nana spoke up and told me that she was visiting her daughter, but that she came from a small town. She said that in small towns, people talked, and she found it strange that none of the parents at the park spoke to each other. I did agree that it was strange, but the whole time, felt awkward talking to her. 

I recently discovered that I may be socially awkward, so this shouldn't have come as a surprise to me. But the truth is, parents don't talk much at the park. At least, not at the parks that I go to. 

In a day and age where so many women are feeling desperate and are lacking community, I wonder why we don't make fast friends with a mom at the sandbox. Is lack of community our own fault? Have we forgotten how to engage in conversation with strangers without a computer screen between us? 

I wonder what would happen if I started conversations with other moms at the playground. What would happen if I pushed through the awkward and really made an effort to get to know people? 

Who am I kidding? There's no pushing through this kind of awkward. 

9 comments:

  1. haha, this is totally me too. I have all intentions to engage in conversation. I even give myself a pep talk before I go somewhere new, and when I get there, i'm so socially awkward it comes out weird, or not at all. I blame it on technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame technology too! Trying to be more intentional though!

      Delete
  2. LOL... I think #13 is my favorite! LOL! I say Do IT!!! Just try it out... say Hi... if you do it right you don't even have to ACTUALLY make eye contact... you could, say, still be intensely watching your littles - who could fault you for that, right? I'm so gonna walk in your path, and look you in the eyes, at Allume - oh and no worries - we can plan it ahead of time: Let's just skip the handshake and go in for the hug! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We will definitely be hugging! (Even if it is awkward!)

      Delete
  3. I have an inordinate amount of affection for this post and you. Oh, gawsh that was awkward to say in a comment. And all of those in that link. Dear lord I am socially awkward and I'm just getting to the point where I embrace it as what it makes me really me. I love what I love and do how I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you do! But those gifs? Seriously, story of my life! Maybe this is why we are such soul sisters!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stumbled on your blog from the Nester ... I like your writing style. The "awkward" link was great ... I've totally liked a picture on FB by accident and I quickly unliked it but maybe that's even worse because I don't know if people can see that I liked it and then unliked it.

    I am not super outgoing but I did start a conversation once when I was out walking with my baby and met another woman who was also walking with her baby. We hit it off and 15 years later, we are still friends. But I've also started conversations with people who just look at me funny and it's super awkward. But that's okay; I'm sure it's them and not me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, I grew up talking to everyone! My Southern hometown encouraged it! But my world was rocked when I married and moved to the Northwest where friendly babble was frowned upon!! Thirty years later...I keep my mouth shut and just "think" my friendly conversation!

    Now for a random thought! Your blog series has encouraged me to attend to my neglected blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...