June 13, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Listen

It's Friday! So here we are, hundreds of us, bravely writing for five minutes flat on the same prompt given by the lovely Lisa-Jo Baker. "No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation. Unscripted. Unedited. Real."

This is Five Minute Friday, where writing gets real.

This weeks prompt is: LISTEN

GO!

It's almost unbearable. Most days, it seems impossible to drown it out. The voices that come at me from every direction. 

When Pinterest tells you that your house isn't clean enough and your pictures aren't hung correctly. 

When Instagram highlights days full of crafting and swimming and your day is full of laundry and spilled milk. 

When your feeds are full of how-to's and should-do's and you are just trying to keep your head above water

When the noise that pollutes your head and your heart is telling you that you aren't thin enough, pretty enough, talented enough, mom enough, wife enough, friend enough...

The deafening stream of your not good enough can beat you down and strip you  bare. 

But if you listen...

Listen closely and a still, small voice will tell you that you are loved. A quiet whisper will say you are beautiful. And the words of Truth will cover you in fearfully and wonderfully made because you, friend, are just that. 

If you listen, the noise of this world will fade away and the only thing you will hear is the voice of the Good Shepherd calling his sheep by name. Calling you by your name. To tell you that in him, you are enough. 

Listen...

In him. You are enough. 


STOP!



Five Minute Friday

13 comments:

  1. Love it Kelly! And it's so true. This week I've had so many moments of just feeling like I don't measure up. Where I feel like my faith isn't mature enough, I haven't been a Christian long enough, that I don't belong... and it's amazing to me how when you are listening for Him, you really do hear him whisper to your heart "You are enough. You are loved. You are cherished. You belong." Happy Friday, friend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly, it's almost impossible to hear the still small voice that whispers gentle when all around us grabs for attention ...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugghhhh!! So gorgeous... just like you! Praying you find some quiet tomorrow for the still and the small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, YES. So. Good. I am easily overwhelmed by those who share their perfect-on-camera lives...and I wonder what is wrong with me because there are always baskets of unfolded laundry, floors covered with toys and books, and unmade beds in my world...thank you for the reminder that I'm enough in Him, even on the very imperfect days. Beautiful post, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so true! Sometimes I think that Pinterest and all the other social medias just make my life miserable, but then I remember things like FMF and they are redeemed. :) But you are right. As women I think we put so many pressures on ourselves that we ultimately just lose who we are sometimes and need to go back to the beginning. Beautiful post, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uggh, those voices are lame and I'm certain that if you could peel back the camera shots on Instagram you'd see all the normal and even less than ideal that everyone deals with. But yes, it's so true we need to remember the truth and listen to it. Because none of those things will ever really amount to anything even if you are the one with the Pinterest perfect home and your kids smiling in the sunshine drinking their vegetables! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Yes you are enough and I'm so glad that you are hearing the TRUE voice who is calling you to Him, daily. Thank you for sharing this honest look at daily life. Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious thoughts of listening to the truth our Father whispers to us. We are enough. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work friend!! I totally loved how well this went with "hellomornings" this week! Listen to our Shepard "HE" will drown out that noise. Totally funny how I also wrote about the insane amount of 'noise' and distraction in our lives :) love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just discussing how social media is hurting our young adults (really all of us) with the portrayal of a perfect life. The only perfect life is in the middle of God's will and even then we can't be perfect. I love this post and your heart in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very thankful for His consistent singing over us!!! So much yes! We are enough because HE is enough! Love this my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from Five Minute Friday.
    @JLenniDorner

    Ahh, so true!
    Though anyone telling me that my pictures aren't hung correctly tends to get a rude response. LOL. They are there to please me.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...