May 2, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Brave

It's Friday! So here we are, hundreds of us, bravely writing for five minutes flat on the same prompt given by the lovely Lisa-Jo Baker. "No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation. Unscripted. Unedited. Real."

This is Five Minute Friday, where writing gets real.

This weeks prompt is: BRAVE

GO!

For nine months you cradled life in the inner most parts of your being. You wretched and you grew and you endured kicks and you grew some more.

You are BRAVE.

You woke in the early morning hours to a sensation unfamiliar only to realize that your life was about to change forever. You labored and you cried as you eased a new creation earth side.

You are BRAVE.

You pace hallways and sing late night lullabies deep into the night with a voice cracking from exhaustion. You change diapers and do countless loads of laundry. You stop everything over and over again, day and night, to give nourishment, to give your own body, to this little one who needs you more than anything or anyone has ever needed you.

You are BRAVE.

You catch vomit and clean spills and give baths and brush hair. You paint nails and play princess. You catch frogs and play swords.

You are BRAVE

You get screamed at and ordered around and kicked and toys flung at you and the "You're the worst mom!" has been aimed at your heart like a sniper rifle more than once.

You are BRAVE.

You never stop loving. You hug. You cry. You rub backs and fix that one, out of place hair and you give.

Everything you have. You give.

Every day. You give.

Because you are a mother.

You are BRAVE.


 STOP!

 
 Five Minute Friday

12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic reminder. I never feel brave, but I suppose being brave naturally comes with the territory of being a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved this so much! Beautiful, brave words, friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel like you wrote this one to me, Kelly. I am echoing in my head right now, 'I am brave. I am brave. I am brave.' You're right. We mamas ARE brave, and we have to remind each other that the work we do is so good and so brave! Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these amazing words and reminders...this mama heart needed them tonight! Blessings and happy Friday, my brave friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful words. Being brave really does just began when we become a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much... this! This is so good my friend! So true... so Us! We ARE Brave... and we are braver together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply beautiful! Bravery all wrapped up in a mother! Thanks for the insight and encouragement to all of us mothers. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. Yay me. And seriously I need to remind that as I have one. just one. Strong willed girl I'm raising...as she is raising this mother. Thank you for those words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I am always quick to see the bravery in others but deny myself accolades, thinking that what I do everyday isn't really all that brave. (hugs) I want to paint this word on my office wall now. BRAVE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl... I love this from you!!! Yes Becaue you are mother... you are brave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sweet words for a warrior...because mothers - matter. Lovely post Kelly. Swinging thru from #FMFParty on twitter...I think we followed each other. Great seeing you here again.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...