May 10, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Comfort

It's Friday! So here we are, hundreds of us, bravely writing for five minutes flat on the same prompt given by the lovely Lisa-Jo Baker. "No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation. Unscripted. Unedited. Real."

This is Five Minute Friday, where writing gets real.

This weeks prompt is: COMFORT

GO!



The blanket still smells like him. Two and a half years later, his scent still lingers on the fabric. It is etched in my memory and I would know that smell anywhere. It is him. My son. And it only exists now on that green cotton swaddler with the monkeys.

Every now and again, I sneak into the box of his things and I pull out that blanket so carefully. Like it might break. I bury my face in it and inhale the deepest breath and I am transported back to a nursery in a rocking chair in the early hours of the morning singing lullabies to my one and only son. Lullabies that did not compare to the ones the angels were singing him in Heaven.

It's strange how that scent brings me comfort. It stills my heart and grounds me. That blanket and the sweet perfume of vernix left behind by a newborn babe remind me that he was is real. When it all seems so far away...so long ago that I'm not sure any longer if this is really my life. The smell that still remains, reminds.

My son was IS real. My son was IS alive. I may not be able to see his face today, but One Day....

One Glorious Day...

And I rest in that. I rest in the hope and expectation of that day.

So when I breathe in that woven treasure, I feel like I am catching a breath of Heaven.

And my heart.

It skips a beat.

And the Comforter whispers in my ear, in a still, small voice....

"One Glorious Day."

STOP!


   Five Minute Friday

16 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly! Your words will surely bring a rush of tears to more than my own eyes today. Thank you for sharing this precious piece of your heart here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad we have that glorious day to look forward to.

    This piece of writing...this is powerful..your ability to share through the hurt, the grief, the agony that you've faced - but still shine a light so passionately and wonderfully for the Lord, that speaks to me. You must speak to others - your life must be a glorious testimony of His workmanship.....

    I'm sorry your heart has been chiseled in this way, but as we say....all is grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, oh, your beautiful boy. I am so sorry, sister. And I pray that yes, the Comforter still comes and continues to breathe His life into you, keeping you close. I stand with you, awaiting that Glorious Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I have no words. I have only tears of sorrow, and tears of joy. Joy that you will one day be joined with your son again in heaven. That must be so comforting. I can only imagine.
    Love and peace!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings, love, hugs, and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no words. I can't even imagine. Thankful for a God who comforts and knows all of our memories, our pain, and our coming joy and stores it all up in his infinite love and wisdom. Thank you for sharing such a tender part of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweet Mama...one glorious day is right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry. I can relate to the comfort that blanket provides. I lost someone really close and kept a blanket too. Although I slept with it and soon it lost it's smell. While I am not sure I will see my loved one again, It is wonderful that you know. How wonderful that day will be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh friend. Goodness. I don't even think I have words. We will celebrate that glorious day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Kelly. I pray I'm able to somehow wrap my heart around this and remember that comfort with you. I have tears of joy just picturing what that glorious day will look like. I can just see your smile now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. so ridiculously thankful for the hope of heaven. Although I did not get to meet my daughter - just deliver her, I am so heaven-minded now. Thankful for the comfort God brings us as we go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven-mindedness is one of the gifts of loss. Sometimes those gifts are hard to find, buried under the weight and ashes of grief, but the gifts are there. Much love to you.

      Delete
  12. O I am so so sorry. How you must miss him. Your ability to find comfort in his sweet blanket is so very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your loss here and thankful you do have your blanket of comfort until we reach that Glorious day. Prayers for you this weekend and the days going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tribute to your sweet boy! My heart breaks for you in your loss. I know you must miss him beyond bearing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no words friend, to describe the beauty of this. Tears here, lots of them.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...