April 22, 2013

Rest

REST. 

When you're woken by babes crying and the go go go of meals and diaper changes and housekeeping and and errands and laundry and diaper changes and more meals and more messes and diaper changes and faces standing at the foot of your bed at 3am after a nightmare...

Rest? It's a foreign word to most of us. 

Heavy eye lids and aching bodies are dragged along day after day, weary and weak, as rest fades more and more into a distant memory. 

Motherhood is a 24/7 job. Someone always needs you and there is always something that needs to be done. So where in the world is a mom supposed to find rest? 

Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29

Ye shall find rest unto your souls....

I breathe those words in and they feel like water on a hot summers day. Nothing sounds better. 

Yet with babes calling and and laundry piling, it can seem near impossible to find God in the midst of it all. A hymn over a pot of macaroni. A prayer while you scrub away the soap scum. Grace before a meal. Loving the littles when they are acting anything but lovable. It is in those moments that God will meet you. Right. Where. You. Are.

He longs to spend time with you. He yearns for you to knock at His door. He waits patiently for you to show up, ready to fill your cup to overflowing. To open His arms and let you lay under His wing and rest. All you have to do is show up.

Show up, right where you are. With Pandora praises. With soapy dish water prayers. 

He said, "Come to me...and you will find rest". 

He said, "Come to me..."

Will you go? 

For it is in the coming, in Him, that you shall find rest.







3 comments:

  1. How is it that God lays on your heart to write just exactly what I need to read most days?!? I love Him!! And I love you and thank you for writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning the discipline of rest. It really is something we need to learn to do, isn't it? Whenever I get stressed out, I shut the world down and simply worship. He always shows up and it is so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this my friend! Just this morning... about 3 hours in to my day - I prayed a 'soapy dish water' prayer in the car... realizing that I just plowed right into my day! Luckily - upon realizing this... I entered into His rest and He allowed me to slow. down. (and I got much more done that way anyway!)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...